Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Don't Sleep



A long time ago,
I dated a young lady who has a brother by the name of Darren Grant who directed this video "fill me in" by Craig David. I dated her off and on for about 4 years, we are still friends..plus I got to hang out and become friends with Darren. The girl in the video isn't her, but the hair, skin complexion, and other things are her no doubt..
I know he did that on purpose. When I met Darren he was coming back from doing Timbaland & Magoo's "Luv 2 Luv U" video which was back in 97'. I was working a regular job and danced for fun and to battle others. I didn't think about trying to take things to a "professional" level with one of my many crafts at the time. As time went by Darren and I got to know each other, I sent him a tape of me freestyling at a club called Tonic when it was open. He was down to put in a video, and at the time I had no clue who Craig David was. Well, this was back in 2001..all I had to do was fly to LA last minute, and stay with him if I needed to. So as you can see I didn't go, so many things that were minor kept me from making that move to LA. I shoulda, woulda, coulda all that..big mistake and when I seen the video my mouth was dry and my heart damn near stopped. Darren asked me several times to move to LA, and stay with him until I get out on my own to get into dancing out there. I won't get into why I didn't make the jump..but I didn't as you can see.

Even when he was doing all Destiny's Child's video when they first came out. I was going to do one of their videos, but at the last minute they changed the single to "Survivor" and already had dancers..I also missed that by a hair too.
I still keep in contact with Darren over these years, he also came back to Charlotte and did Anthony Hamilton's video but I had the flu and couldn't even get out the bed for 3 days. So who knows what would have happened if I would have went to LA and became a Choreographer. I still watch dancing but not what you see in video..it's funny we did that shit 15 years ago. Darren is still doing big things moviewise "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" and "Make it Happen" the dance movie. Yeah the money isn't in vids anymore..movies is where it's at.

So I learned a while ago about missing opportunities, and the
"one shot" deal. That's why I try to keep a lot of things going, and try to get things in a forward progression mode.
I will not let another opportunity slip through my fingers again. I will do everything I can in my power to keep it thoro. With every connection, every avenue, and every way possible and I will do what I got to do. So very, very soon I will continue on my path in this life to greatness. I am, all day everyday will be rolling in full effect with my fellow "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" aka Street Locals down in the 404. I am glad and thankful that I was included in the vision of Street Local and will do my part to the fullest..my relocation is key. Even the side hustle I'm doing also will get much attention in a few too. I just want to say anyone that reads these rants and opinions of mine and look into the message I'm trying to convey here.

We should all pay attention and strive to make sure when an opportunity presence itself to go for it. I mean be mindful, do your research, and make sure it will benefit you in a good way. Try not to think to hard into it, let it come natural, and you know inside if your making the right move. I mean if your passionate about something and you feel it in your gut..simple..do it . I want to make sure I use these god given ideas and talents to my fullest potential before it is too late. I also want to too see my family, friends, and krew massive to capitalize on they're dreams too. So in short..let's go get it..and don't waste any opportunity.

1 comment:

lola smalls said...

huh? you're moving on down this way??? yesssssssss!