Monday, August 25, 2008

BROKEN BEAT..FUTURE SOUL

Early on, my Dad played so many types of music when I was growing up. I was exposed to Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, Bee-Gees, Bar-kays, Fela Kuti, The Police, The Beatles, Prince, Jackson 5, The Time, Mizell Brothers, Musical Youth, The Doors, Jefferson Starship, Jimi Hendrix, Ray Barretto, Grover Washington Jr, Bob James, James Brown, Isaac Hayes, George Clinton, Tim Maia, hell Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers, I liked 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's music. Just basically different types..but all quality stuff. Those same songs carried over into my adulthood to not listen to music..to "hear" the music..every cord, every instrument, the arrangement, all the way to the vocals.
I didn't listen to bullshit back then, so I'm not going to start now.

I know for me personally I use to be on some straight up on some Hip Hop shit. I know more shit, more b-sides, more underground etc etc.
We had a friendly battle among friends on myspace a youtube..haha hip hop battle on the videos. Not just the regular shit. We were all taken shit way back shit I know you have to be the age of 26 and older to know. But over the years, I have lost my love for HIpHop because of its change good and bad. I know those days of 1988-1996 years we'll never get back. I understand that fully and I am okay with that..really I am. I laugh now these days now when I sound like my parents when talking about music. You know the the old saying " Aww that's not music, That's bullshit!" or "That's not HipHop!!." I love this one the most
"Listen to that shit..They don't make music like that anymore". So funny how music has changed or whatever it's doing now.


Back in California, in the early 90's I got really into house music. It was really because I left the running man, hammer, kid and play shit..and went into that style. Most people in Cali and in Charlotte that know me from the past know I was all about "jacking"(freestyle, housedancing.) I know when you look at that Blu vid and see me dancing..like haha Myk dancing..yeah..I may be a little rusty..don't get it twisted..Elite Force(Mop Top)was my heroes..I'll take back to Lalah Hathaway's "Baby Don't Cry"
on that ass.. that's for my Boy Ryan "Lo-Lifes" and Ahuf..word.
So that also helped with the transition into the sound..of Broken Beat.

I was first introduced to Broken Beat so long ago from my man 100 grand
Steve Hart aka DJ Apex. I can't even remember the first cds I had from him..but I still have them now to this day. A little something about Broken Beat artists mostly have a drum and bass, house, hip hop, techno or acid jazz background. With these backgrounds and influences, broken beat is sometimes considered more "sophisticated" than regular dance music, on the scale of jazz, soul or funk. Broken beat also has its roots in 70's jazz fusion and has been influenced by artists such as Lonnie Liston Smith, The Mizell Brothers (producers for Donald Byrd, Bobbi Humphrey and Johnny Hammond in the mid-70's), Herbie Hancock, George Duke, and others. One might also hear echos of Disco, 80's Rn'B (Shalamar, Prince), early Electronica (Kraftwerk), hip hop (Planet Rock), 80s New Wave (Depeche Mode, New Order), House and Techno in Broken beat.

I'm just not into alot of the music that a couple of friends like. Just not into it and it's okay..just not into it. Straight up it has no soul to me....tried to..um not happening. I know I have let some folks check it out what I'm on. Some have not liked it, some have been like oh I listen to everything but wasn't feeling it.That was not for anybody inperticular..regardless if we just had that conversation
okay Ladybug. I support my friends that spin..I will come and hang but,
I'm not really listening. I feel it's okay thou.
do you. Hey your getting paid to play music..that's cool
but me asking for a mixtape
...ehh..naw no thank you.


I have been wanting to put music on my blog for a while now. I asked Dan about it and since I'm on Blogspot and not Wordpress, I couldn't use the dope flash player they use on old Rogue Status Smog Check, Standard Blog, CtotheJL. So I will use another form of playing music, Not sure how I'm going to do it. This music I listen to now moves me like Hip Hop use to. Some may hate it..don't really give a shit about that. I know that is what I'm into..so that's it. So you can stop the player or stop reading this blog, I write this blog for myself anyways as a documentation of my life and what is surrounds. Life, Family, Love, Friends, Krew, Likes, Dislikes, and what the hell ever I want to put on the thing. So yeah if you hear some beats when you hit the page..stop it or let it play..
Welcome to The Broken United FC..enough said.

No comments: