Wednesday, April 30, 2008

WHAT HAPPENED

The Black Eyed Peas


"Fallin Up"


I know it's been awhile since I did these..so I'm back on it again. It hurts alot to do this one, but I was in my boy Ant's car and he was playing the 2nd Black Eyed Peas cd which came out in 1998 called "Behind the Front". They were originally were called "Atban Klann" and dropped the debut album on Ruthless Records, "Grass Roots" that was in 1992..(yeah Ruthless Records) When I seen the video "fallen up" back in 92' and seen them dancing freestyle I was hooked off gate. First off, I automatically identified with them because I danced freestyle too, was from California, Will had Locs like me, and you didn't have guys that rap and dance freestyle at the time besides Pharcyde. Most that know me..along with Skateboarding& Sneakers..most know I rocked heavy..I've been dancing since 3rd grade..and those days are slowly coming back. Anyways, they(BEP)were cool at first..naw for a long time but for some reason after the song Request Line with Macy Gray (which I never ever liked her anyways) I knew something bad was going to happen. Kim Hill did the singing on "joints and jams" was their first singer and she was the best in my opinion, they also had Esthero on "weekends" and she was dope too. The Peas had other singers on different tracks over the years..Fergie is the worst..I can't stand that chick. She's so wack..I just can't stand her..so fuckin' what!!

Now I have no idea what going on with them in the last couple of years. Yeah they are diverse with different styles and elements in everything they do. Some..no alot of that shit is wack, shit is on some straight pop-shit. I mean they weren't God MC's, but the rhymes were okay..for what they were doing. The dancing stopped a long time ago..hell they gotta perform and talk over each other on stage. The end of "joints and jams" was so refreshing to see freestyle..it gave me goosebumps. My cousin Sterling always told me "at least the getting paid!" I always replied with "Hell, that don't make it dope!"..and that's the truth. I don't know I seen them on the front of DUB magazine..and everybody in the group have H2's ..that was kinda weird..hopefully they got a group rate. When Street Local becomes #1, I doubt if Cory, Ryan, Tim, and myself get all the same whips. Anyways, I'm just a little bitter because of the groups that I've supported have just changed and the industry truly has taken over. So you can have those songs about the "humps" and the "lies" I don't want any part of that. I will just chalk it up, and do what I have been doing since Hip Hop has changed in these past years. I will continue to say when I hear some Hip Hop from 87' to about 96'.."aah those were the days." These are the videos I'll remember from them..and the dancing especially.

"Joints and Jams"

No comments: